The Wanakena Footbridge
Courtesy of Phil Friden
Courtesy of June Worden
Ice dam devastation
Damage to our beloved bridge
Ice Dam devastation
Damaged beyond repair
Removal of the bridge
The Wanakena Footbridge was constructed in 1902 and spanned 171 feet across the "Oswegatchie River", in the hamlet of Wanakena.
It was originally built to provide a crossing for the employees of the Rich Lumber Company to reach the lumber mills on the opposite side of the river.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999, and was a beloved landmark of the entire Clifton-Fine Community.
In January of 2014 the bridge was damaged beyond repair, when an ice dam let loose upstream and collided with the bridge, twisting and tearing it from it's supports on the shores of the river.
Immediately afterward, the ENTIRE community (far and wide) started a massive fundraising campaign to rebuild and restore our beautiful, and beloved footbridge, and to" rebridge the gap", that the missing bridge has left in our community, and our hearts.
Read all about our progress on the Wanakena Footbridge by
or to make a donation by