The hamlet of Oswegatchie was once divided into two seperate towns. What is now considered "Upper Oswegatchie" was once called "The Crossing" as this is where the railroad crossed through and had it's own railroad depot, and what is now reffered to as "Lower Oswegatchie" was once known as "Little River". The joining of the two towns and the name "Oswegatchie" was later settled upon in early 1890's.
Farm land was key industry until 1870 when a sawmill and general store were built. In 1895 the first feed mill was built and a Baptist church in 1890.
In 1914, John P. Griffin deeded 40 acres of land to the Town of Fine for the purpose of establishing a town forest. This forest is to be used by the people, and as far as we know, it is the only "Town Forest" in the United States.
Today, Oswegatchie is much quieter than in it's industry led days, but is still rich and bustling with natural beauty and serenity.
The railroad track still passes through the hamlet and is currently being restored, the old Baptist church still stands, in it's original location and is still used today, and the remnants of the old sawmill still remain if you know where to look.
The "Griffin Memorial Forest" is one of the best kept secrets, within Oswegatchie's limit and the Town of Fine - a MUST see.