Griffin Memorial Forest
In 1914, John P. Griffin deeded 40 acres of land to the Town of Fine
for the purpose of establishing a "Town Forest".
This forest is to be used by the people, and as far as we know, it is the only Town Forest in the United States.
Through the help of the students and staff at the SUNY ESF Ranger School and students from the Wilderness Studies classes at the
Clifton-Fine Central School,
many improvements have been done to the forest such as Picnic tables, informational kiosks and more.
In the summer of 2009, members from the Retired Teacher's Association of the Clifton-Fine Central School set out and cleared trails throughout the forest.
The Griffin Memorial Forest is one of the best kept secrets in the Town of Fine.
Follow NYS HWY 3 to the Hamlet of Oswegatchie. Turn right onto the Browns Falls Road. Continue to follow Browns Falls Rd approximately two miles. Once you round a sharp bend with a Steel Deck Bridge that crosses the "Little River" look for the wooden "Griffin Memorial Forest Sign" on a tree on the right. Turn down the dirt road and then bear the next right following the signs.